Friday, October 26, 2012

Foodie Friday: Crock-Pot Quinoa

PA210186

I love quinoa. And I love anything I can cook in the Crock-Pot. So this recipe, from A Year of Slow Cooking, is a match made in food heaven. [In the future, though, I think I'll make this sans tomatoes. I don't think they added anything to the dish.]

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups quinoa 
3 cups vegetable stock 
1 T olive oil 
1/2 t cinnamon 
1/4 cup sliced almonds 
1/3 cup dried, unsweetened cranberries 
Handful of baby spinach 
1 cup baby tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size 
1/2 block feta cheese, crumbled

Directions:
1. Dump quinoa into the crockpot. [Some quinoa needs to be washed before use, so be mindful of this.] Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and mix it around. Add vegetable stock and cinnamon. Stir in almonds and cranberries. 
2. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4. The quinoa is done when you can fluff The liquid should be pretty well absorbed and quinoa should be kind of "fluffy." 
3. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and add baby tomatoes [or not] and feta cheese. Stir gingerly to mix. Add a handful of baby spinach to the top, and close the lid. Cook on high for another 20 minutes.
4. Stir again to distribute the spinach and serve.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm def going to try this. I bought a big bag of quinoa at costco and made it for the first time for my fam. My kids cried and refused to eat it. But this recipe looks like a winner! :)
    -kristen

    The Mrs. and The Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing!!

    oliviamoone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have all Perfumes Collections with latest brands and cheap price and you can also buy all amazone, shopzilla.com alibaba.com, olx.com.pk and shoulderhandbags.org.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have all collections of perfumes with latest brands and cheap price and you can also buy all amazone, shopzilla.com alibaba.com, olx.com.pk and shoulderhandbags.org" perfumescollections

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could do this recipe Vegan style very easily! Looks delicious.

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete